Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) holds Preliminary Examination of the Civil Service.
This exam is screening test for Civil Services Main Exam and Forest Service (Main) Exam.
Civil Service Application Form:
Candidate can fill application form at www.upsconline.nic.in.
Civil Service Eligibility:
Age: 21-30 years as on 1st August of the year of exam.
Nationality: (i) A citizen of India, Nepal, Bhutan or a person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka or East African countries Kenya, Uganda, The United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia or from Vietnam with the Intentian of permanently settling in India.
(ii) A tibetan refugee who came over before the 1st January, 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in India.
Physical Standards: Candidates must be physically fit according to the prescribed physical standards.
CSAT Educational Eligibility:
- All the Candidates possessing any degree whether it is professional and technical or pass which are recognised by Government as degree would be eligible for admission to the examination.
- Candidate whose result awaited are also eligible for Pre Exam.
Note: All candidates need to produce all their certificates and marksheets for Main exam.
Maximum Attempts: Total Four (4) attempts for General Category, Seven (7) for OBC and SC/ST candoi
Civil Service Exam Centre:
Civil Services Pre Exam (CSAT)
CSAT Exam Pattern:
The Preliminary Examination consists of “Two Objective type” papers carrying 200 marks each and set both in English and Hindi. Maximum time for each paper is 2 hour (120 mins.). There will be negative marking.
|Paper I||General Science + Current Affairs + General Studies|
|Paper II||English + Aptitude + Reasoning|
Related: UPSC General Studies Sample paper 1
Civil Service Pre (CSAT) Exam Syllabus:
Civil Services Main Exam
Civil Service Main Exam Pattern:
|Section 1: Essay||200 Marks|
|Section 2 English Comprehension
& English Precis (Class X/ Matriculation level)
|General Studies–I(Indian Heritage and Culture,
History and Geography of the World
|General Studies –II(Governance, Constitution,
Polity, Social Justice and
|General Studies –III(Technology, Economic Development,
Bio-diversity, Environment, Security
and Disaster Management)
|General Studies –IV(Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude)||250 Marks|
|Optional Subject – Paper 1||250 Marks|
|Optional Subject – Paper 2||250 Marks|
|Total Marks (Written test)||1800 Marks|
|Personality Test||275 Marks|
|Grand Total||2075 Marks|
Civil Service Main Exam Syllabus:
Important Points for Candidates:
- Candidates will not be allowed to offer the following combination of subjects:
- Political Science & International Relations and Public Administration
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Agriculture and Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science
- Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science and Medical Science
- Anthropology and Sociology
- Commerce & Accountancy and Management
- Management and Public Administration
- Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engg
- The question papers will be of conventional (essay) type.
- Candidates exercising the option to answer papers III to IX in any °ne of the language included in the Eighth Schedule to the Constitution may, if they so desire, give English version within brackets of only the description of the technical terms, if any, in addition to the version in the language opted by them.
- Each paper will be of three hours duration. Blind candidates will however, be allowed an extra time of thirty minutes at each paper.
- The question papers other than languages papers will be se both in Hindi and English.
- Candidates will have the option to answer all the question papers, except the language papers viz. Paper I and II above in any one of the languages included in the Eighth Schedule to the Constitution or in English.
- The candidate will be interviewed by a Board who will haw before them a record of his career. He will be asked questions on matters of general interest. The object of the interview is to assess the personal suitability of the candidate for a career in public service.
- The is intended to judge the mental calibre of a candidate. Personality Test/Interview just not only check intellectual qualities but also social traits and his interest in current affairs.
- Some of the qualities to be judged are mental alertness, critical powers of assimilation, clear and logical exposition, balance of judgement, variety and depth of interest, ability for social cohesion and leadership, intellectual and moral integrity.
- The technique of the interview is not that of a strict cross-examination but of a natural, though directed and purposive conversation which is intended to reveal the mental qualities of the candidate.
- The interview test is not intended to be a test either of the specialised or general knowledge of the candidates which has been already tested through their written papers. Candidates art expected to have taken an intelligent interest not only in their special subjects of academic study but also in the events which are happening around them both within and outside their own state or country as well as in modern currents of thought and new discoveries which should rouse the curiosity of well educated youth.
Civil Service Jobs (Placement) :
Selected candidates will be placed in one of the following department.
- Indian Administrative Service
- Indian Foreign Service
- Indian Police Service
- Indian P & T Accounts & Finance Service
- Indian Audit and Accounts Service
- Indian Revenue Service (Customs and Central Excise)
- Indian Defence Accounts Service
- Indian Revenue Service (I.T.)
- Indian Ordnance Factories Service (Assistant Works Manager, Administration)
- Indian Postal Service
- Indian Civil Accounts Service
- Indian Railway Traffic Service
- Indian Railway Accounts Service
- Indian Railway Personnel Service
- Post of Assistant Security Commissioner in Railway Protection Force
- Indian Defence Estates Service
- Indian Information Service (Junior Grade)
- Indian Trade Service (Gr. III).
- Indian Corporate Law Service
- Armed Forces Headquarters Civil Service (Section Officer’s Grade).
- Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Civil Service
- Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Police Service
- Pondicherry Civil Service
- Pondicherry Police Service