M. Sc. Biotechnology Sample Questions:
A: Cell Biology & Microbiology:
1. Which cellular organelles are also known as ‘Suicide bags’?
2. Which bacterial cells produce cord factor that accounts for their pathogenicity?
(A) Escherichia coli
(B) Staphylococcus aureus
(C) Mycobacterium tuberculosis
(D) Salmonella typhi
3. Which bacterial genus produces exospores?
Related: questions about the digestive system
4. Which mammalian virus causes fatal hemorrhagic disease in humans?
(B) Hepatitis B
B: Basic Biochemistry & Instrumental Techniques
5. Which compound is a potent inhibitor of serine proteases?
6. Which of the followings is a basic amino acid?
(B) Aspartic acid
7. Who built the first Transmission Electron Microscope?
(A) Ernst Abbe
(B) Kohler and Milstein
(C) Steven Spielberg
(D) Ernst Ruska
8. Which of the followings is an example of scanning probe microscope?
(A) Magnifying microscope
(B) Atomic Force Microscope
(C) Compound microscope
(D) Transmission electron microscope Section
Related: krebs cycle questions
C: Industrial & Bioprocess Technology
9. What is a biotransformation?
(A) A reaction of organic compounds by enzyme(s).
(B) A reaction of organic compounds by whole cells.
(C) A reaction of organic compounds in organic medium.
(D) A reaction of organic compounds by either enzyme or whole cells.
10. Which term is most suitable to refer to the synthetic insecticides, pesticides and herbicides?
11. Which term refers to the maximum number of substrate molecules converted to product per unit time per active site of an enzyme?
12. Which technical term is used to refer to the concept that the idea is new and ‘not a logical extension of prior work’ even to a person skilled in that particular field while filing a patent?
(D) Unique Section
D: Fundamentals of Genetics & Molecular Biology
13. What shall be the concentration of the DNA in micrograms/ml if A260 of the solution is 0.5?
14. Which term is used to describe a series of extremely rapid mitotic divisions in the zygote that forms a blastocyst?
15. Which anticancer drug binds microtubules leading to inhibition of mitotic spindles and cell death?
16. What is the basis of separation of plasmid molecules in isopycnic density gradient centrifugation?
(A) Their Mr
(B) Their shape(s)
(C) Their fibrous nature
(D) Their densities
Related: different branches of biology
17. The enzymes that differs in electrophoretic nobilities as a result of allelic differences in a single gene are known as
E: Plant & Animal Tissue Culture Techniques
18. Who attempted the in vitro culture of frog tissue for the first time that led to the development of concept of animal tissue culture techniques?
(A) O’ Brefled
(B) Ross Harrison
(C) Alex Carrel
(D) Robert Koch
19. Which classical term refers to the ‘lifetime limit’ of a mammalian cell-line?
(A) Growth limit
(C) Hayflick limit
20. Which plant tissue possesses totipotency?
(A) Perenchymal tissue
(B) Merismatic tissue