Himanchal Pradesh University, Shimla conducts competitive entrance exam to accepts admission into M. Sc. Biotechnology and Microbiology programme.
Related: sentence structure quiz
Entrance Exam Notification:
All Dates are Tentative
Last date for Application Receipt: First week of May
Date of Entrance Exam : Third Saturday of May
Entrance Exam Centre: HPU, Shimla Campus
Result Declaration: Second week of June
HPU M. Sc Entrance Exam Eligibility:
- Age: Aget of Candidate must be not more than 28 years.
- M. Sc. Biotechnology: Graduation Degree in Physics / Biology / Agriculture / Veterinary / Fisheries Sciences / Pharmacy / BE / B. Tech. / MBBS / BDS with at least 55% marks.
- M. Sc. Microbiology: Graduation Degree in Microbiology / Biochemistry / Biotechnology / Genetics / Molecular Biology / Botany / Zoology / M.B.B.S. / B.V.Sc with minimum 50% marks.
Related: mineral quiz
HPU, Shimla M. Sc. Exam pattern :
M. Sc. Biotechnology and Microbiology: There will be total 100 objective type questions each carrying 1 mark. There willbe NO negative marking. Total exam duration is 90 minutes.
HPU Entrance Exam Syllabus :
M. Sc. Biotechnology Syllabus:
- Cell Biology & Microbiology
- Basic Biochemistry & Instrumental Techniques
- Industrial & Bioprocess Technology
- Fundamentals of Genetics & Molecular Biology
- Plant & Animal Tissue Culture Techniques
M. Sc. Microbiology Syllabus:
- General Microbiology
- Basics of Biochemistry and Cell Biology
- Basics of Parasitology and Immunology
- Basics of Mycology and Phycology
- Fundamentals of Genetics and Molecular Biology
HPU MSc. Biotechnology and Microbiology Colleges:
- Department of Biotechnology, H. P. U. Shimla
- Shoolini Institute of Life Sciences & Business Management, Solan
- Bhojia Institute of Life Sciences, Nalagarh
- Himachal Institute of Life Sciences, Poanta
- Central Research Institute, Kasauli
- Gautam Girls College, Hamirpur
Related: average questions
Himachal Pradesh University M. Tech. CS Admission:
Himachal Pradesh University Computer Science Programme
Himachal Pradesh University, Shimla conducts entrance exam to accept new admissions into first semester of its M. Tech Computer science Course at its own campus (Only centre is H.P. University Campus, Summer Hill, Shimla)
Himachal Pradesh University Application:
- Last date of receipt of Application form: 1st Friday of September
- Entrance Exam Date: 20 to 25th September (Tentative Date)
- Entrance Exam Result: Second week of October
- Application Form Details: hpuniv.nic.in
Himachal Pradesh University M. Tech Eligibility:
Candidate must have obtained 55% marks in 4 year Graduation Degree in Maths / Physics / Electronics / IT / CS or MCA
Related: ancient indian history quiz
M. Tech CS Entrance Exam pattern :
- Exam Type: Objective
- Total Questions: 200
- Entrance Exam Duration: 3 hours
- Candidates who have qualified GATE/ NET / SLET in Engineering will be given 20% extra marks in entrance exam.
- A candidate needs to secure at least 35% marks i.e. 70 marks in entrance exam to get qualified for admission.
|B||Mathematics of Graduation level||40|
|C||English and General Awareness||20|
M. Sc. Biotechnology Sample Questions:
A: Cell Biology & Microbiology:
1. Which cellular organelles are also known as ‘Suicide bags’?
2. Which bacterial cells produce cord factor that accounts for their pathogenicity?
(A) Escherichia coli
(B) Staphylococcus aureus
(C) Mycobacterium tuberculosis
(D) Salmonella typhi
3. Which bacterial genus produces exospores?
Related: questions about the digestive system
4. Which mammalian virus causes fatal hemorrhagic disease in humans?
(B) Hepatitis B
B: Basic Biochemistry & Instrumental Techniques
5. Which compound is a potent inhibitor of serine proteases?
6. Which of the followings is a basic amino acid?
(B) Aspartic acid
7. Who built the first Transmission Electron Microscope?
(A) Ernst Abbe
(B) Kohler and Milstein
(C) Steven Spielberg
(D) Ernst Ruska
8. Which of the followings is an example of scanning probe microscope?
(A) Magnifying microscope
(B) Atomic Force Microscope
(C) Compound microscope
(D) Transmission electron microscope Section
Related: krebs cycle questions
C: Industrial & Bioprocess Technology
9. What is a biotransformation?
(A) A reaction of organic compounds by enzyme(s).
(B) A reaction of organic compounds by whole cells.
(C) A reaction of organic compounds in organic medium.
(D) A reaction of organic compounds by either enzyme or whole cells.
10. Which term is most suitable to refer to the synthetic insecticides, pesticides and herbicides?
11. Which term refers to the maximum number of substrate molecules converted to product per unit time per active site of an enzyme?
12. Which technical term is used to refer to the concept that the idea is new and ‘not a logical extension of prior work’ even to a person skilled in that particular field while filing a patent?
(D) Unique Section
D: Fundamentals of Genetics & Molecular Biology
13. What shall be the concentration of the DNA in micrograms/ml if A260 of the solution is 0.5?
14. Which term is used to describe a series of extremely rapid mitotic divisions in the zygote that forms a blastocyst?
15. Which anticancer drug binds microtubules leading to inhibition of mitotic spindles and cell death?
16. What is the basis of separation of plasmid molecules in isopycnic density gradient centrifugation?
(A) Their Mr
(B) Their shape(s)
(C) Their fibrous nature
(D) Their densities
Related: different branches of biology
17. The enzymes that differs in electrophoretic nobilities as a result of allelic differences in a single gene are known as
E: Plant & Animal Tissue Culture Techniques
18. Who attempted the in vitro culture of frog tissue for the first time that led to the development of concept of animal tissue culture techniques?
(A) O’ Brefled
(B) Ross Harrison
(C) Alex Carrel
(D) Robert Koch
19. Which classical term refers to the ‘lifetime limit’ of a mammalian cell-line?
(A) Growth limit
(C) Hayflick limit
20. Which plant tissue possesses totipotency?
(A) Perenchymal tissue
(B) Merismatic tissue