How to Become Indian Navy Officer?
General Service Officer:
Job Profile of a General Service Officer in Indian Navy:
As an Executive Officer, you will be both working and fighting the ship. It means you will be a vital part of the complex system that manages the ship and also uses the ship as an instrument of tactical warfare. You will learn to have a good understanding of your ship’s capabilities and limitations and be able to turn them to your advantage.
Executive Officers are trained in specializations like anti-submarine warfare, navigation, communications, gunnery, logistics, diving and hydrography. One could also opt for the air or submarine arm. Within the branch, your promotional chances are not affected by your choice of specialisation. For instance, the Commanding Officer of a destroyer could have been a pilot and that of a guided missile frigate, a submarine specialist.
Application Procedure for General Service Officer:
- One can apply for this through NDA Exam and INA Exam through UPSE.
- Unmarried male candidates who have degree of B.Sc (Physics & Maths) or BE can apply through Graduate Special Entry Scheme (GSES) Indian Naval Academy, (Through UPSC). Age of candidates must be between 19 – 22 years.
- Men who aged between 19½ – 25 can apply also through SSC Executive General Service. Qualification for this is BSc./MSc with Physics & Maths with Min 55 % marks. BE/ BTech in any discipline with min 55 % marks. B.Sc(Physics &Maths) holding NCC Naval Wing ‘C’ Certifictae. Graduate/ Post Graduate in Op Research/ Quantitation Methods with min 75% marks. Graduate/ Post Graduate in Maths with STAT or Probability with min 75% marks.
Naval Armament Inspection Officer:
Profile of these officers is to inspect the armaments supplied to the Navy by various agencies. they ensure the quality, safety and reliability of naval armament and stores. Both Permanent as well as Short Service Commissioned officers serve in this cadre.
Related: branch of Science
A separate cadre of Provost Officers exists to deal with policing, regulatory, and security and vigilance needs of the Navy.
Diving Officer in Navy job range from under water inspection and repair of ships. This is yet another elite and challenging task specialization wherein being in the parent professional arm with sub specialization such as gunnery, Navigation, Anti-submarine warfare or else logistics, hydro, Aviation etc.
Navy needs observers who act as airborne coordinators of maritime warfare. Observer officer operates various state of the art equipment including sonics, sonars, radars and communication equipment.
One major responsibility of the submarines is to train for war as effectively as possible in the knowledge that will contribute to its prevention. If you successfully complete the rigorous training, which is conducted at Visakhapatnam, you will be the proud possessor of the ‘Dolphin Badge’ and a member of a very elite arm of the Navy.
At sea or on shore the Logistics Officer has a vital part to play in the technical and human aspects of the ship’s organisation. It is a job that requires exceptional managerial skills and the ability to deliver under pressure.
Application Procedure for Logistics officer:
- Permanent Commission: Those male candidates who aged between 19.5 – 25 years and have a First Class Degree in B Com/ BA (Economics)/ MBA/ BBA / BBM / MCA / BCA/ BSc (IT)/ BTech/ BE(any discipline including civil Engineering)/ B Architecture/ ICWA/ Chartered Accountancy / A graduate degree with Post graduate/ Degree in Materials Management with minimum 60% aggregate marks from a recognised university can apply.
- Short Service Commission: 1st Class Degree in BA (Economics), BCom, BSc(IT), CA/ ICWA, Catering Technology or BCA/ MCA, or B.E/ B.Tech in Mechanical, Marine, Electrical, Electronics, Civil, Computers, IT, Architecture or Graduate with PG Diploma in Material Management. Both men and women can apply for this post. Age criteria is same as for Permanent Commission Logistics Officer.
Law Officer in Indian Navy:
A separate cadre of Law Officers also exists to deal with the legal needs of the Navy. Both Permanent as well as Short Service Commissioned officers serve in this cadre.
Application Procedure for Law officer:
- For Permanent commission un-married male candidates who age between 22 to 27 years and have a degree in Law qualifying for enrolment as an Advocate under the Advocates Act 1961 with minimum 55% marks can apply.
- For SSC both unmarried men and women can apply. Age criteria is 19.5 years to 25 years and educational qualification is same as for permanent commission.
Pilot in Navy:
Navy pilots fly ship-borne helicopters and shore based maritime reconnaissance aircraft, some elite pilots also fly fighter aircraft such as Sea Harrier or Mig 29K. Naval aircraft locate and attack enemy surface ships and submarines and take part in amphibious warfare, search and rescue, casualty evacuation etc. For this, specialised training is imparted at various places on shore and afloat units.
Application Procedure for pilots:
- Male candidates with aged between 19 to 23 years and graduate in any discipline with minimum 60% marks from a recognized University/ Institution with Maths & Physics at 10+2 level can apply.
Executive Officers can specialise in hydrography. Hydrographic Officers are responsible for collecting information required for making the nautical charts used by the Indian Navy and other Navies around the world.
Application Procedure for Hydrographic officer:
- Men who have BSc./MSc with Physics & Maths with Min 55 % marks. BE/ B Tech in any discipline with min 55 % marks. B.Sc(Physics &Maths) holding NCC Naval Wing ‘C’ Certificate. Graduate/ Post Graduate in Op Research/ Quantitation Methods with min 75% marks. Graduate/ Post Graduate in Maths with STAT or Probability with min 75% marks can apply. Age criteria is 19.35 years to 25 years.
Apply in Navy:
- Male candidates who aged between 19 to 24 years can apply through NCC Special Entry Indian Naval Academy, Ezhimala. Educational Qualification needed for this is B.Sc (Physics & Maths) or BE with Naval Wing Senior Div NCC ‘C’ Certificate.
- For permanent position male candidates can apply through PC Naval Armament Inspection Centre. Age criteria for this position is 19½ – 25 and educational qualification is a degree in Electronics / Elect / Mech. Engg. or Post Graduate Degree in Electronics or Physics.
- For SSC -ATC both male and female candidates who aged between 19½ – 25 years and have Ist Class Science Graduation degree with Physics /Maths/Electronics or MSc with Physics/Maths/ Electronics with min 55% marks.
- For SSC Observer Men & Women both can apply. Age required for this post is 19-23 years. peoples who are graduate in any discipline with minimum 55 % marks from a recognized University/ Institution with Maths & Physics at 10+2 level can apply for this job.
- SSC Naval Armament Inspection cadre: Only male candidates with age between 19½ – 25 years and have a degree in Electronics/ Elect/ Mech Engg or Post Graduate degree in Electronics or Physics or Post graduate in Electronics or Physics can apply.
How to Apply:
Candidates can apply through nausena Bharti Website. Navy also publish advertisement in Employment Newspaper.