Indian Navy Medical Officer Job:
Doctor in Indian Navy :
The Armed Forces Medical Services is amongst one of the best options available to a medical graduate. The Armed Forces Medical Services (AFMS) promises both professional and personal growth at every stage of the career. Medical Officers are associated with Group ‘A’ gazetted posts of Central Government.
A doctor in the Navy have an opportunity to learn and practice military medicine and look after the health of the soldiers and their family. Most of the postgraduate courses are conducted at Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC), Pune and various other teaching hospitals of the Armed Forces.
As an officer in the Army Medical Corps, he/ she is liable to be employed in the Indian Army, Navy or Air Force in any part of the country or world.
Eligibility for Joining Army Medical Corps (AMC):
Permanent Commission (PC): Maximum age is 45 Years.
- Applicants must posses a medical qualification of an Indian University or a foreign medical qualification recognised by the Medical Council of India. They must also be registered with any of the state councils or equivalent registering authority.
- An antedate of 3 years seniority for post graduates and 2 years for post graduate diploma recognised by MCI and 6 months for a house job, done at a recognised hospital to fresh entrants.
- A doctor who has done a house job and also a post graduate qualification will be eligible for a maximum antedate seniority of 42 months.
Related: Photosynthesis quiz
AFMC Cadet Entry:
- 10+2 with PCB securing not less than 60% of aggregate marks together and not less than 50% in any of these subjects. Age limits are 17 to 22 years.
- B.Sc. Maximum age is 24 years.
Direct Permanent Commission:
- BDS with minimum 60% marks in final year / MDS from a recognised College or University. Maximum age for this job is 28 Years for BDS.
- Must have completed MDS and should have completed one year rotatory internship recognised by the Dental Council of India, and having a Permanent Dental Registration Certificate. Maximum age is 32 years.
Selection Procedure in Navy:
About 50 percent graduate passing out from the Armed Forces Medical College Pune are taken directly into Permanent Commission and the rest are offered Short Service Commission. SSC officers are required to serve for a minimum period of 7 years extendable by another 7 years.
For Permanent Commission:
- SSC officers are allowed three chances to appear in departmental interviews for grant of Permanent Commision at any time after completion of two years SSC service i.e. two chances in first tenure of five years and one chance in second tenure of five years but before completion of nine years and six months of service.
- Maximum age limit as on 31 December of the calendar year of application for grant of PC for different professional educational qualification is: For MBBS maximum age is 30 years, for Post Graduate Diploma maximum age is 31 years and for Post Graduate MD/MS maximum age is 35 years.
For Short Service Commission:
- Both male and female indian candidates can apply, Navy publish notification in Employment Newspaper twice a year.
- Eligible candidates are called for interview at New Delhi to assess their merit and suitability for grant of Short Service Commission in the Army Medical Corps and subsequent secondment to the Navy.
- Candidates who have been short listed are subjected to medical examination at designated Armed Forces hospitals in New Delhi.
- Medically fit candidates are granted commission subject to verification procedures as deemed necessary and required for commissioning.
Related: Nervous system quiz
The comforts of life like good housing, medical aid, canteen facilities, school, college and higher education for children, life insurance cover etc are provided by Indian Navy. The benefits are extended into the retired life including pension and medical facilities.
Rank given to candidates after selection:
Captain/ Surgeon Lieutenant/ Flight Lieutenant – Applicable to doctors commissioned from civil who have acquired their Permanent Medical Registration Certificate.
Lieutenant/ Surgeon Sub Lieutenant/ Flying Officer – Applicable to Medical cadets passing out from AFMC Pune, till completion of their internship in Service hospitals.
How to Apply in Navy :
For Permanent Commission: Selection is held once a year in Jul / Aug at Delhi. Advertisement published in National / Regional newspapers in Mar/Apr every year.
For more details one can contact at:
Post DHQ, New Delhi 110011
For AFMC cadet Entry: Selection is held once a year through a written exam on all India basis followed by an interview at Pune. 50% cadets are granted SSC after passing out. Advertisement published in National / Regional newspapers in Jan every year.
i hv passed my M.B.B.S from russia and im preparing for MCI….and i want to join indian navy…..can u plzz suggest me to join indian navy as a medical officer what should i do?what r the criterias?plz guide me.
Currently I can’t see any recruitment notification. I suggest you to check nausena-bharti.nic.in (choose medical) for detailed guide
Respected sir/madem iwant to service to our country so how to apply and join to afmc please guide me iam in jaipur pls response to me
My daughter also wants to make a Doctor by Indian Navy Medical college Pune .
PL help us.